MATCH REPORT | EFL Trust Futsal Super Cup

By November 6, 2017 Event-Futsal No Comments

Grimsby Town A team secured silverware for the first time this season after a penalty shootout victory over Peterborough in the EFL Futsal Super Cup.

In a match which saw a missed penalty, 6 goals, two own goals and incredible drama from beginning to end went the way of the Mariners at St Georges Park. Both sides displayed a terrific standard of futsal which was a fantastic advertisement for the EFL and youth futsal in general.

Peterborough took the lead in the second minute, a fast counter attack resulted in a low cross turned into his own net by Grimsby’s Ollie Willetts. Willetts was involved soon after this time at the other end of the court, and made amends for his own goal- his cross-cum shot ricocheted off Isaac Saywell and found the back of the net; another own goal.

Grimsby looked to strike again, but were denied on a number of occasions. Harry Burke and Jan Meiwald were both denied by Peterborough’s Harry Wilshire who made a number of important saves. Burke wasn’t to be denied on the second time of asking, his direct run through though Peterborough’s defence presented himself one-on-one with Wilshire, Burke calmly rolled past him and slotted home to give Grimsby a 2-1 lead.

Before today’s game Peterborough’s Antonio Jaquite had found the net 20 times in 10 games, Jaquite added his name to the scoresheet with a low drive past Denson after some strong hold up play to level the scoring just before half time.  Jaquite grabbed his second of the game just after the second half restart, some neat one touch passing freed up Jaquite, who made no mistake firing low across Grimsby’s Tyler Denson, sending Posh into a 3-2 lead.

Peterborough created a number of chances at the beginning of the second half, and could have extended their lead, but Grimsby’s Denson made some fine saves to keep the deficit at one.  Moments after Denson’s saves, Grimsby were level again, Burke struck for the second time of the afternoon, after his first-time strike from a set piece flicked off the crossbar and into the back of the net.

Both sides had opportunities to win the game, Tom Latif went close for Peterborough, and Alex Aldrich came close to converting a Meiwald cross.

However, this wasn’t the end of the drama. The referee indicated that Grimsby were on their 5th foul, and any foul after this point would result in a 10 metre penalty for Peterborough. Incredibly, with 4 seconds left Leo Kilday upended Peterborough’s Saywell which handed Peterborough the chance to win the game from 10 metres. Jake Cooper stepped up and slammed his penalty against the post- agony for Peterborough. The final whistle blew, this final headed to penalties.

After 3 successfully converted spot kicks each, Grimsby’s Captain Meiwald saw his effort saved. Peterborough had another chance to win the EFL Super Cup, but couldn’t convert their next penalty past Denson, meaning it was all still level. Grimsby’s Josh Carver-Mill smashed his penalty home, and Denson made himself the hero with another save from Peterborough’s next penalty- Grimsby Town were the 2017 EFL Trust Super Cup winners.

Grimsby’s Tyler Denson, the hero of the shootout was delighted with the win, and felt that Grimsby fully deserved their victory, “it’s unbelievable, I’m absolutely thrilled for the lads, we deserved it”. Denson has adapted and settled into this Grimsby side, and manager Mark Westerby was full of praise for Denson, commending his development in the recent weeks, “He’s settled in really well, he found it tough at the start, but really has come on leaps and bounds in the past few weeks, you saw that today”.

A fantastic advert and promotion for youth futsal yet again, and a phenomenal spectacle for all involved, congratulations Grimsby town A team, 2017 EFL Futsal Super Cup Winners.

Tom McGrath

Check out the highlights below… 


Want to get involved? Contact Us